The Toddler

This post is dedicated to my friend Vickie, who has gone through this stage three times with grace, and listens to me with sympathy and laughter.

Toddler.  The word to me conjures up images of exhaustion and terror.  When you hear "baby", it's easy to ignore the sleepless nights and the constant crying, because images of giggles, pudgy smiles, cooing, lullabies, and strolls through the park are so strong.  Toddler implies endless energy, willful independence, the possibility of tantrums at the store, spaghetti everywhere, and toys all over the house.  These are definitely the adjectives I would have provided when I was childless.  And with a baby, I had to know that when I got to this phase, somehow God would give me the grace to get through it.

Oh, but how wrong I was!  Don't get me wrong - I'm exhausted!  A friend asked me if I had blogged recently and I replied that I hadn't found the time, that when M became a toddler, suddenly my time disappeared.  We're down to one nap, and this little one seems to have the energy of five toddlers.  Instead of laying him gently on an activity mat and knowing that he'll be safe and happy for a while, I set him down and am faced with two options:  1) sudden clingyness and an intense desire for my undivided attention or 2) he takes off like a bullet to see what kind of mischief he can manage.  Just the other day, we completely unrolled a thing of paper towels, locked ourselves in the bathroom, dumped out the cat's water countless times, ate enough dirt to plant a garden, and rubbed peanut butter in our hair.  And by we, I think you know who I mean.  Yup, I'm tired.

But no one ever told me about the fun side of toddlers!  M giggles and smiles mischievously in ways that melt your tiredness.  He gives hugs and kisses and will crawl into your lap with a book.  I love seeing his creativity and problem solving abilities develop as he plays with his blocks and learns how to buckle his seat belt.  He gets so excited when he hears a dog bark that he will shout "Dah!" for five minutes.  He'll stop playing to watch a bird or an airplane.  This baby has become a real live person with opinions and ideas, likes and dislikes.  He will talk your ear off and make funny faces to make you laugh.  I can honestly say that I am loving this stage.

So if the idea of having a toddler scares you, take heart.  There is so much joy ahead.

Comments

  1. I like this post :)

    Watching your child learn is one of the most exciting and rewarding things ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so, how did the garden taste?! btw, I have been responding to your wonderful writing. Why aren't you getting them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I smiled all through this :) Seeing the world through the eyes and heart of a child draws us closer to God. And it was the grace of God watching you grow from a baby to a toddler to the amazing woman you've become.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Have Prayed for This Child

Cupcakes

When Words Don't Come