Ring by Spring

  Despising any kind of stereotype, I swore I would absolutely not be a casualty of the Christian college's "Ring by Spring" stereotype. Which meant I inevitably was. I met Zach during the first semester of our freshman year. Because I had made it my MO to say yes to everything, I ended up helping a friend with his student film - a musical based on Queen's Loverboy, something which Zach had literally been dragged to help with as well. After a final late night practice at the end of the semester, a group of us ended up at the beach where he and I talked for hours. I didn't see him again until 6 weeks later when the Spring semester started. My course-load was much heavier and I quit my friend's film project. Turns out Zach quit the same night I did and called a few days later asking me out. Our first date made an impression to say the least. He met me in the dorm lobby where, upon seeing me, he turned on his heel and said over his shoulder, "I'm parked in the red, we gotta go!" Um... hi? Thankfully I caught up quickly enough to know which car to get into - a small Celica which required me to climb in and out on my hands and knees. Thankfully we recovered, and drove to the beach where we walked along the pier, talking about anything and everything. I wasn't bored for a second. It was easy and natural to connect with him, something which didn't come easy and natural to me as a highly shy introvert. Our dates continued this way over the rest of the semester, long walks and talks. When I told him how much I would miss the palm trees when I went back to Vienna for the summer, he slipped a blow up one into my suitcase with firm instructions not to open it until I got home.

Zach was from a strong Christian family - something, I'm embarrassed to say, that I hadn't really realized wasn't a given when I started Biola. His dad was a pastor and MK and his mom a physician. Their love of God and people shown in everything they did. My high school Bible teacher had taught that the most important reason to marry someone is realizing that you would serve God better together than apart. This was evident to me in their lives as they worked together to support one one another not only in their marriage, but also in the ministries to others. This was a profound reminder to me as my relationship with Zach deepened, to look first and foremost to God and where he was leading me to serve him. I realized that if we did get married, that much would be asked of us. Much had been given - a Christian legacy that went back generations, marriages that had spanned decades without divorce, unconditional love and support from each of our families, the list went on. Yes, much would be asked of us, because much had been given.

On a chilly evening in October of our Junior year, once again above the beach, Zach knelt on one knee and asked me to marry him. We got married 15 months later, surrounded by family and friends. My brother made sure that my mom danced like she had always promised, holding her tenderly in his arms, her smile radiant. A Ring-by-Spring it was, and stereotype or not, I wouldn't have had it any other way.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Have Prayed for This Child

When Words Don't Come

Cupcakes