Food Memories

I have been having so much fun cooking this week!  Since removing the staples last week, I have been reminded that we eat not only for fuel, but for enjoyment, for memories, and for new experiences.  This isn't a new idea for me, but I seem to have forgotten that these things are not just for entertaining or for large gatherings of families and friends.  I had to dial myself way back when planning Matt's 3rd birthday party - we were having hot dogs and nachos (movie theater food) and I was ready to throw out brats, ciabatta rolls, and carne asada when Zach gently reminded me that we were planning a party for a three year old.  I love food!  I plan any get-together around the food.  But why should weekly dinners get any less respect?  I want my kids to grow up around the dinner table.  I want them to try new foods, to not even look at a "children's menu", and to be excited to come together as a family at night.  Tacos, spaghetti, and turkey burgers have their place, and they will still be regulars at the table.  But this week we've enjoyed Martha Stewart's Pizza with Corn Puree and Tomatoes, Nicole Kidman's Crispy Orecchiette with Broccoli, and my mom's BBQ chicken (adapted from her amazing New Year's Eve Ribs).  It's been fun to experiment!  My husband's dislike of corn is well-known, but even he couldn't put down Martha's pizza!  And we don't really like tomatoes all that much, so instead of regular ones, I topped it with sun-dried tomatoes and fresh basil.  No Parmesan?  No problem - just throw in some cotija cheese instead and it was delicious.  And not a bad way to get your kids to eat their veggies, either!  No offense to Ms. Kidman, but she doesn't look like she eats much deep-fried pasta, and I don't think I will either. It was good, but sat like a bowling ball in your stomach all night.  The BBQ chicken tonight took me back to so many New Year's eves - incredible memories of family, friends, and even our old dog, all came through the smell of ketchup, coke, and onions (don't judge, it's amazing).  Food isn't just fuel.  It's the stuff families are made of.  Matt knew what Parmesan was by the time he was two (again, we have spaghetti A LOT).  I want people - whether it's guests for a party or my kids coming back from school - to come into my kitchen and feel like they are home.  Cheesy?  Sure.  But to me, there's almost nothing better than some gooey melted cheese.  Or cookie dough.

Comments

  1. I'm home :) Wonderful blog filled with wonderful, delightful memories! Don't forget Brownie Sundaes, Wiener Schnitzel and yes, who can forget Molly and the ribs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And of course spiced apple cider and Christmas morning cinnamon rolls!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Have Prayed for This Child

Cupcakes

When Words Don't Come