Why I Love Pinterest

I am not the creative type.  I don't sew, I can't draw worth beans, I don't crochet cute little hats, and I definitely don't plan particularly exciting Sunday school lessons.  But here's something I do well: read.  This allows me to use the creativity of other people to have fun and create some pretty cool stuff.  So when I go onto Pinterest.com and see an appetizing looking cupcake or a new way to organize my socks, I can click the link to read the instructions - I love do-it-yourself stuff.  It may not always look the best, because like I said earlier, the picture in my head just doesn't travel through my hands, but I usually had fun doing it.  So for me, Pinterest is an opportunity for me to see what other people have come up with and if I like it and it's easy enough, I can recreate it.

My $10 Growth Chart in M's Big Boy Room
But here's the kicker - Pinterest has made me more creative!  Spending time looking at creative stuff has actually inspired me to be creative!  The other day I saw a picture of an adorable growth chart for kids.  It was shaped like a ruler and you could mark your kid's growth along the side.  But clicking on the picture let me to see that the product was actually $80.00.  Yeesh!  Marking height on a door-jam for free will do just fine, thank you very much!  But then I got to thinking about ways that I could make it myself.  And suddenly I was doing something I never do - heading to Michaels with no instructions and an idea in my head!

$10 later, I got home and set to work with my spray paint and stencils.  I would love to tell you that my project looked great on the first try, but I'm not gifted with that either.  But after only one emergency run to Home Depot, my project was finished, and I love it.  Now I can mark M's growth in style and it brightens up his room.  Who knows, maybe it'll even help him learn his numbers :)

Comments

  1. Love this! I saw that you repin that and asked Caleb if he'll make it for me when we have kids, he said yes lol I'll hold him to it! Yours looks super cute! I'm sure he loves it =]

    p.s. I'm totally not creative either but Pinterest has helped a whole bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so cute! A far cry from marking the height in pencil on a door-jam :) Well-done! What's next?

    ReplyDelete
  3. btw, what was the emergency run to Home Depot for? Accidently put a hole in the wall? :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Have Prayed for This Child

Cupcakes

When Words Don't Come